And so I went on a book buying galore again.
Last weekend, I’ve been contemplating whether I should go or not to SM Manila to visit Book For Less’ book sale. I slept Saturday night finally deciding not to go because I know myself that if I’ll go there, even if I tell my self that I won’t buy anything I’ll still end up buying alot of books. So yeah, that’s settled (I thought).
And Sunday came, I woke up around 1pm without any plans of going out since I was thinking it could be so hot outside. I don’t know with what force, the weather became favourable and I remembered that there would be no traffic (as what always happen when Manny Pacquiao has a fight) so I decided to just visit Book For Less SM Manila to have a look (hopefully).
I got overwhelmed with the wide selection of books that they have. Compared to their last warehouse sale, I much favor this. (Their book sale before happened in their warehouse in Pasig where everything was P10). The setting now is much more clean and organized compared to the last. Any book you see is worth P20. So yeah, knowing me, like I always say, I am a sucker of cheap books.
And yeah, I failed. I was not able to control my self in buying books. I gave in -_- . At first, I limited myself to just buying five books since I didn’t bring any ecobags. But STILL that didn’t stop me from buying alot of books. I ended up buying 16 books in total.
And now presenting my sorry-but-not-sorry book haul! *throws confetti*
1. Primary Colors: A Novel of Politicsby Joe Klein, Anonymous
This is the first book that I got.
Reason why I bought it: The novel tackles Modern American politics and being a Political Science graduate I know I have to read this.
2. Voyager (Outlander #3)by Diana Gabaldon
Reason why I bought it: I was so excited when I saw this. This is the third volume in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Eventhough I haven’t read the first two books yet, for P20 this is a great catch. 🙂
3. At Home: A Short History of Private Lifeby Bill Bryson
Reason why I bought it: This is one of the books that is in its perfectly pristine condition. I am hearing good things about Bryson’s writing so I hope this will be a perfect start for me in reading his books.
4. Legends (Legends I (all stories))by Robert Silverberg (Editor/Contributor)Reason why I bought it: Because there’s George R.R. Marin in there. 😀 And I guess this will also introduce me to the other fantasy authors in the book. I believe this is a collection of short novels.
5. The Woman Who Walked Into Doors (Paula Spencer #1)by Roddy Doyle Reason why I bought it: The author is a Pulitzer Prize winning author. This will be a great read I hope based on the synopsis.
6. The Naturalby Bernard Malamud, Kevin Baker
Reason why I bought it: No synopsis at the back or the first page. I bought this primarily because of the cover at first but after some research I found out that the author is a National Book Awardee and Pulitzer Prize for Fiction awardee too and this is his first book.
7. Paradise (Toni Morrison Trilogy #3)by Toni Morrison Reason why I bought it: It’s Toni Morrison. Period.
8. Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry
Reason why I bought it: The book was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. I also like the synopsis.
9. Death and the Maiden by Ariel Dorfman
Reason why I bought it: It’s a play and I haven’t read that much play and the synopsis seems good too.
10. In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
Reason why I bought it: It’s a National Book Award winner. The synopsis is like Titanic + Moby Dick action so I know I’ll be in for a ride.
11. The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
Reason why I bought it: It’s the Winner of the 1995 Pulitzer Prize. I do collect award winning literary reads and this will be a great addition to it. Aside from of course the premise is amazing.
12. Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
Reason why I bought it: It’s the only memoir that I bought. The blurbs at the back says that it’s a funny memoir and the synopsis seems promising.
13. A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L’Engle
Reason why I bought it: I was quiet not satisfied with her A Wrinkle in Time so I am giving her another try with this book. Not a children’s book this time. 🙂
14. Utopia by Sir Thomas Moore
Reason why I bought it: The only classis book that I saw there and I automatically grabbed it.
15. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson
Reason why I bought it: The author of Speak which is one of the books that I’ve been wanting to read but don;t have a copy yet. 😦 I am currently reading her other book Fever 1793.
16. The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones
Reason why I bought it: It’s four books in one! Who woulnd’t want to buy it for P20. 🙂
If you read any of the books that I just hauled kindly let me know you thoughts about it. Or just let me know what book should I read first a have a review and I’ll do it. 🙂
And that’s my book haul. The sale will be until December 15 and I’ll try to be back there this weekend. 🙂
This is actually the first of my three-part book haul. Yes, I have three book hauls last week. 😀 The second one is my children’s book (since I’m in the mood for some light children’s read) and Filipino books book haul. The second one are the books my friend gave me and the books that I recently purchased from online sellers and this is the one which I am excited the most to share. 🙂
See you on my next post. 🙂